Power Steering problems

Took my 89 F150 on a trip Christmas to see the family. Trip was about

75 miles each way over some decent sized mountains. Got there OK, but when I went to leave I discovered I had no power steering. The pump was full, overflowing a little actually, and the fluid was moving. Belts and pullys looked OK. I decided to just muscle it home. Arrived home OK. Went out this morning to go to work, the power steering works now, but is down a pint.

What gives?

Mark

Reply to
Nemisis

There can be only noe answer... Gremlins.

Is there a chance your power steer>Took my 89 F150 on a trip Christmas to see the family. Trip was about

Reply to
djdave

I believe you may have either contaminated fluid - ie too much moisture - that caused a vapor lock of the system or, the pump has a leaky internal seal. I would keep a close eye on it particularly when hot to see if the fluid looks a bit milky or foamy. If this is the case, it is probably a bad seal in the pump. The fix is pump overhaul or replacement.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Couldn't say for certain but if you had a blockage of some sort in the system (in front of the pump pickup) which caused high pressure in the reservoir (as indicated by the overflowing condition) and the blockage cleared or broke up then the fluid would once again circulate and the low fluid level is the amount that was pumped out. I would definitely pull the pump and reservoir assy for a good inspection and cleaning. Hopefully, no contamination got into the rest of the system.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Well, I solved this problem the expensive way. I traded the F150 on an

02 Escape. Got 26 mpg on the first tankfull of gas. I am going to buy a hitch and a small trailer for the occasional hauling jobs I used the F150 for. It's got a 4 cylinder 5-speed, which brings up the next question: does anyone know anybody who makes a shift bushing kit for this Escape? The shift linkage is quite vague.

Also, if anyone is interested, I have the 3 volume Ford shop manual plus the wiring digram charts for the 89 F-series light duty trucks. I think the manuals also cover the E-series vans too. If anyone is interested in this please contact me. I'll give you the whole set for $30 plus shipping.

Mark

Reply to
Nemisis

It's got a 4 cylinder 5-speed, which brings up the next

Try here.

Reply to
SC Tom