Problem solved: f250 brakes

I found out the problem with my back brakes not engaging when pulling my Travel Trailer (9K)

THE ADJUSTING STAR WAS PUT ON BACKWARDS.

That's right, it was installed so that the star had to be pushed *up* (from the brake slot) instead of down. Every time I stopped, I was *loosening* the brakes! Who did it??

Midas, who else..................Did I file a complaint? Not hardly. When I called them, they said "No Way" and the Bureau said "we need lots of complaints to act."

This is in Kalifornia, where else..........

Lesson learned?

Don't trust anyone that works on commission, especially a chain outfit. I've been burned by them all at least once..

VV

Reply to
Victor V

Glad to hear it.

I never trusted any chain. I did work for a few of them part time. Changed tires and batteries at sams club, changed fluids at jiffy lube, and managed an alignment shop for almost 2 years. Currently, I manage a fleet of 25 trucks, light trucks, and cars for a city. Since taking this position 2.5 years ago, I feel I can do (almost) anything automotive.

Most people cant, and have to rely on these chain stores, or their local garage. What a gamble.

djdave

Reply to
djdave

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:46:49 +0000, Victor V rearranged some electrons to form:

Glad I called it correctly!

Reply to
David M

Yes, and thanks, I wouldn't have thought of it. But, there's more..........

Not only were the stars put in backwards, the cable was installed in the wrong place. IOW, there is no way the self-adjusting mechanism could have worked. It took me ahwile to figure it all out, as I normally don't do this kind of work. I will from now on, however.

Thanks to you and for the diagnostic help from everyone! Seems this would be a could topic to save.......somewhere...........

VV

Reply to
Victor V

What makes your guys working under you any better than those guys working the chains? You have 4.5 years "experience" from what I read, you've just reached journeyman status. What determines a good shop from a bad one is the management. Good management wont put up with shoddy work. And unless that chain store is on an interstate, it has to have repeat business to stay in business. Sams club doesn't even begin to reach chain repair shop status, hell it doesn't even reach repair shop status, maybe to the level of oil on the soles a mechanic's work boots. And Jiffy lube, the monkeys beating on the transmission in the old AAMCO commercials back in the 60's where more mechs than those dip sticks. But then you don't have to be a mechanic to change oil. Changing oil and pumping gas is where many a good mechanic started, and many a bad one stayed, or should have stayed.

I've seen independents that rival anything in the field, and even more where the owner should be put in jail, or maybe sent down wolf creek pass in a car one of his employees just did brakes on, or across death valley in one just "tuned up". I've seen chain stores where the 'youngest" "mech" had 7 years with the location, about half had been there as long as the place had been open, over 22 years, and for three weeks around Christmas you didn't have to bring or buy lunch, customers brought in that much food with cards of thanks, a place where three generations of drivers were bringing their cars in for work. A little 8 bay joint that put a few 27 bay locations to shame on volume of repairs done, and customer satisfaction surveys. It was a great place to work, there was a family feeling about it.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

So..............how do you tell??

Reply to
Victor V

umm.. too much coffee today?

Please d>

Reply to
djdave

Word of mouth from different people is always good. When a place has multiple week waiting list to schedule a service date, and you have seen the owner charge customer less than half what was quoted, because they fixed the problem in less time than he quoted... When the shop shows time and again that they can troubleshoot problems other shops can't fix...

These are good indicators.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

"Victor V" wrote in message news:fLb4h.3559$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...

You talk to co-workers, friends, and neighbors, people you go to church with. You check them out with the BBB. Ask for references. Talk to people in the waiting room. Look at the shop, clean and neat, not a pig hole. what do the mechs look like? Obviously later in the day uniforms are going to be rough looking, but if they come in that way, or the uniform is ripped up jeans and t-shirts with holes..... In the same token, unless your in a Rolls Royce shop, I wouldn't expect to see "eat of the floor" clean ether, sign of too much time to clean. Does the place look professional? Is there a mix of age in the shop? Experience takes time to acquire. How does the shop equipment look? How does the mechanics tool boxes look? And that doesn't mean everyone with a brand new latest and greatest, my box is close to 25 years old now, and while starting to show its age, was always clean and neat and waxed when I was still turning wrenches for a living. Are the same cars sitting next to the shop day after day with flat tires? Who's delivering parts? NAPA, dealerships, or generic unmarked trucks and Autozone?(I would expect to see a mix, why not use generic or autozone for things like spark plugs and oil, Motorcraft is motorcraft, Valvoline is valvoline. Some supply houses are really good in some parts areas, while dogs in others.) Whose oil and filters and other fluids are they using? Are the mechs certified by anyone? What kind of warranty? A good warranty is a good indicator, a shop can't afford to do a lot of warranty work and stay in business, so a good warranty is an indicator of the quality of parts and labor. 30 days is an indicator to walk away.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning