Radiator petcock question

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 351 c.i. I was changing the coolant the other day and when I tightened the petcock the plastic knob broke off. Can the petcock still be opened/closed? The pattern on the inside of the plastic knob looks like it would take an allen wrench. But I didn't want to do any experimenting since I have it closed. Thanks, Jake
Reply to
Jakey

"Jakey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

This same thing happened to me on my '94 Ranger, about 5 or 6 years ago.

I used a flathead screwdriver which is thin enough to stick into the drain hole yet wide enough to bite into the plastic. I was then able to turn it whichever way I wanted.

If you have a flush 'n' fill coming up, I suppose you could pull the broken petcock out and replace it, but the screwdriver method has worked for me even though I could have replaced it several times now. I'm actually replacing my heater core tomorrow so I think I'll finally replace the drain c*ck too.

Reply to
adambomb

I used an allen wrench....

john