Ranger 4WD Question

I have a '97 Ranger XLT 4x4 with the 4liter engine and automatic transmission. I have been driving it a lot this winter in 4WD because of all of the snow and ice here in New Hampshire. My problem is that sometimes the truck "forgets" that it is in 4WD. I will drive into my driveway at night with the dash knob set to 4WD and the truck working on all 4 tires. I will park it in a slick spot and leave the knob in the 4WD position. When I go out in the morning, start the truck and try to drive away, only the rear wheels will engage and I will be stuck. I have to shift from park to drive several times and sometime shut the engine off and restarts before the 4WD will kick in.

Any thoughts on what the problem may be? I would like to eliminate it before it gets any worse. Thanks.

Reply to
NHYankBoy