Ranger and Mazda B4000 questions

FIRST QUESTION

I am looking for a serious manual for my 97 Mazda B4000 and my daughter's 99 Ranger (3.0L). Given that the two trucks are twins, I suspect one manual would cover them both.

I have the Haynes manual and it was a waste of money -- fuzzy photos, poorly indexed.

Back before Hurricane Katrina cleaned my out, I had Nissan-produced manuals for my Maxima and my old Nissan Hardboy truck. These were excellent manuals -- detailed instructions and diagrams; clear photos; easy to find what I needed. Ditto for my old VW Beetle manuals -- I forget the publisher but the manuals I have for old Beetles are excellent.

What manuals does anyone out there recommend? Does Ford publish a maintenance manual that's available through dealers?

NEXT QUESTION

How in the hell do I pull the plug wires off the plugs? I tired to replace plugs and plug wires on my daughter's Ranger and could not get the damn plug wires off the plugs -- I grabbed the boots as tightly as possible and pulled as hard as I could. I even clamped the boots with Vise-Grips -- nothing doing. Taking the truck to the dealer tomorrow and let them worry with it.

Anyone else have this problem?? As I recall from my days of working on old Beetles, I always put a conductive anti-sieze compound on the plug to prevent just this thing from happening.

THIRD QUESTION

What brand and type of plugs does everyone use on their Ranger/Mazda trucks -- 3.0 and 4.0 L.

Thanks.

Reply to
97 Mazda B4000

  1. You can get factory service manuals on EBay. I've done it several times, and have been pleased. There's even one guy who sells new reprints under factory license.
  2. You have to twist first to break the seal between the boots and plugs. Think "Chinese finger cuffs," and you'll understand why you have to twist before you pull.
  3. I've always been satisfied with Autolites or Motorcrafts. Get the OE type. That is, if it came with platinum, get platinum. Avoid AC, Champion, Bosch, NGK, etc. on your Ford.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS -- A REASONABLE ANSWER ON USENET!!!!

Thanks -- I'm off to eBay to see what I can find.

Reply to
Joe S.

Good luck on your shopping and swapping.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Put some di-electric grease inside the plug boots before you reinstall the plug wires. It will help seal the plug wire/sparkplug and make them easier to remove next time.

Reply to
Clay