Ranger Fuel Economy

In the modern world of high gas prices we all need an edge. In an effort to increase the MPG's of my 91 Ranger I pursued these actions. Performance parts for the 2.3 are not easily found if available at all, so with help from Ford I did the following.

Along about the late 90's Ford started putting steel tube headers on their 2.3's from the factory thus replacing the ole cast iron manifolds. I went to a local salvage yard and for $60.00 (dont forget to grab the exhaust feed tube for the EGR as well as it is different from the cast iron manifold) I got a set off of factory headers off a 97 or so Ranger. They fit near perfectly with the addition of a new gasket no leaks. The only modification was to cut about 3 inches off the heat stove and bend the A/C line about 1/4 on an inch for clearance. The EGR tube bolted right up and the O2 sensor is in the same location. The factory exhaust system bolts right up as well. Dont forget to put new anti-seize on the O2 sensor.

Lastly I got a Cheery Bomb Turbo 2 muffler from the local parts store for under $20.00 bucks and changed it out and pitched the factory one. muffler.

As a result I now get improved seat of the pants power and my fuel economy has went from 24.9 to 26.7 MPG, well worth the $85.00 outlay.

Just wanted to pass it on. E-mail me if you want. Fredzo snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com

Reply to
Fredzo