Ranger lugging at highway speed

My 94 Ranger pickup has been slowly developing an annoying symptom recently. It's starting to make what I would describe as a lugging sound, even at highway speeds, regardless of gear. I first noticed this while pulling a moderate hill in 5th gear at about 65 mph. The symptom came and went, but now it seems to do it all the time, even on flat terrain and even in lower gears. It doesn't do it through town, it only seems to occur at speeds above 50 mph. I'm hoping someone here might know what I'm dealing with.

Some specifics of my vehicle: 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter, 5 speed manual transmission, 131,000 miles. New clutch about 20,000 miles ago, new fuel filter about 5,000 miles ago, new plugs about 15,000 ago.

Reply to
Robert Wenuck

noddy

Reply to
Rick

Sorry, didn't read the last part.

Reply to
Rick

Reply to
lmnop

Thanks for these tips, I'll give it a shot.

Reply to
Robert Wenuck

It could be a pugged catalytic convertor.

Reply to
Pete

Reply to
lmnop