Ranger Transmission Replacement Advice Needed

The 1st and 3rd syncros are giving up on my 94 Ranger (3L, 5-speed, Supercab). I am going to give it to one of my kids for college, and want it running reliably for the next two years.

I am in Central California (a small town near Sacramento).

What do think is the best course of action?

Have the current trans rebuilt? Replace it with a rebuilt unit? Replace with something from a recycler/dismantler? Other?

And if it should be replaced, is there a place in or around Sacramento to purchase a rebuilt or recycle transmission. (I looked in the Yellow Pages, but you cannot tell much from advertisements. Also did a Google search. Filled out one form requesting the parts and got 29 emails saying "call us." I'd like to get the work done this week, and most of the "call us" people are out-of-state.

One of my kids is a Honda auto tech, lives in San Jose, and can swap it out, but doesn't have the skills to rebuild it. He could bring me a transmission from the San Jose area if there is a good source there.

Also, my research indicates that the transmission number is M5R1. Does that appear to be accurate or is there some other designation I should be looking for?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

Reply to
Tom Dobrovolny

You probably have the M5R1. There's also an M5R1 HD and an M5R2. The HD is stronger than the R1, and the R2 is stronger than the HD. The R1 is usually behind the 4 cylinders, the R1 HD behind the V-6's and the R2 behind the V8's in the F series. My understanding is that they're all dimentionally the same if you're talking about 4x2.

If it were me, I'd find a late model, low mileage, M5R2 or at least an M5R1 HD. The stronger the transmission you use, the longer it should last. Having said that, don't be surprised if they're a little pricey, since these Mazda transmissions are not known for extreme longevity.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Great information. Thanks! (Yes, it is a 4x2.) Can you tell me where on the unit this ID number is located? The reason I ask is that I don't want some recycler trying to pass me the R1 as an R2.

CJB wrote:

Reply to
Tom Dobrovolny

The best I can suggest is to make sure the transmission comes from a 4.0 V6 or a V-8. If you send me a private e-mail, I'll be able to give more information.

CJB

Reply to
CJB