Re: 86 F-150 problem, need suggestions to cure desieling problem

got a truck as subject says that will desiel after I turn the key to off. I

>am not sure wherer to track down this problem or even how to start. I >thought that maybe it was carbon buildup but I have been driving it for a >couple of long rides that *should* have cleaned up that problem, used gas >from different stations to make sure it was not a fuel problem, checked the >timing which was off a bit but still have the problem. My dad suggested that >i let it idle for a bit before shutting off and that helps a little bit. the >truck idles a bit high and i have not had time to adjust that yet, but it is >on my list of to do things (another thread i shall ask on) > >suggestions? or does anyone have a better way to kill the engine than >putting it in gear and stand on the brake and let the clutch out?

You need to specify your powertrain/engine setup. It makes a huge difference in what may be the problem.

Reply to
lugnut

IIRC back in that era the carburetors had a solenoid that would allow the butterfly to completely close when the ignition was turned off. An improper adjustment here could be causing the high idle and the engine to diesel after turning off the key.

checked the

suggested that

Reply to
JS