Re: Is the ESP (extended service plan) worth $4800 on 2001 F-250 4x4 diesel

No it is not. You have a 100,000 waranty on the engine with a $100 deductable from the factory.

My 2001 F250 4x4 Diesel is about to go out of the 36,000 mile warrantee. > > Dealer quoted me $4800 for the Ford ESP contract to go to another 4 > years and up to 100,000 miles.. > > Only problem I have had in the past year was warped rotors and a oil > leak at a o-ring. > I had a 89 Bronco for about 120,000 miles with only AC problems. > Does the service history on the F-250 justify the almost $5000 the > dealer is asking for the warrantee. > I don't abuse the vehicle, and hope to keep it another 8 to 10 years... > >
Reply to
bomar

If a diesel is supposed to be so great and be good for a couple of

100,000 miles why is the warranty only for 100,000 miles?
Reply to
Chap

I long for the days of actual warranties on stuff we bought. Unfortunately, we have all come to accept the extended warranty as the norm on washing machines, VCRs, cars and everything else. If you could rocket back to 1960 or so and describe this situation to an insurance guy, he would think you were making it up. It would be insurance paradise. jor

Reply to
jor

That's what I thought, till I read the coverage info in the Diesel book. They don't warranty the complete engine, just some of the parts. Reason I was asking, I was in a campground in Virginia, guy their was having problems with his Diesel, oil leak on the top of the motor. He was still under the 36,000 mile warranty. He said the bill came to just under $2000.... It wouldn't take many 'oil leaks' at $2000 a pop to burn up $4800... Everything is SO expensive, and then you say the word Diesel and it is like saying add another 50% to the cost...

I am still up in the air over it, I had great luck with my 89 Bronco. And I hate to invest over $5000 (add in tax etc etc) for something I may not use, and hope never to need.

Thanks for ALL your input... No one has said it is a 'good deal'...

Reply to
Ronnie

Why in the world do you consider it the norm to buy extended warranty on those items you listed above? They are all use up and throw-a-way type items. What you are really saying is, "those sales people are all trying to sell those high profit extended warranties and some gullible people are lining the sales people's pockets!! :-(

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Well he got screwed. That's all there is to it. Especially if he was still under basic warranty. Oil leaks are covered. Period. Why wouldn't they be? As for Ford, the 100,000 mi engine warranty covers just about everything except glow plugs, injectors, belts and hoses.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Not worth it at $4800, but it might be at $2400.

I've never paid list price for an extended warrant; see what you can get it for, first.

-- frosty

Reply to
frosty

That guy was an idiot. Most likely that turbo seals blew, no way it's $2k, and it is covered under warranty.

Reply to
bomar