Re: No fuel from rear tank

I have an 89 F150 straight 6, 5 speed 2WD. I have never been able to run of

>the rear tank. I confirmed the tank selector switch is good. I replaced the >selector valve and still nothing. > > Well today I went to drain the gas from the rear tank and could not get > the siphon hose down into the tank through the filler tube. I took that > out and could not get the siphon in the filler neck half that connects to > the tank. Mine is the style with the vent tube inside the filler tube. I > was never able to put gas in the tank. The vent hose came apart in my > fingers. I ended up pulling the fuel line where it connects to the > selector valve and drained the old gas. I don't know how long it has been > like this, but the gas was brown. > > Now to fine an inexpensive source for both parts of the filler tube and a > new sock for the fuel pick up in the tank. Any ideas for sources other > than LMC at $149 and from what I can tell, it isn't the style that I > need. > > Thanks > Ted

Ted, Save yourself a lot of grief, time and money down the road a bit. Drop the rear tank, take it apart, have it steam cleaned, replace all of the lines up to the selector valve, replace the fuel level sending unit, replace the filler tube, replace the pickup (stanpipe), replace any other part that has been in contact with the old, brown gasoline. In simple terms, replace the rear fuel system in entirety except for the tank, which should be steamed out and inspected for rust/corrosion...Might be overkill but that is what I would do...Good luck....

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

I am in australia and, after converting to LPG (dual fuel), I lost the use of tank two. This was simply from neglect - I should have rotated the two tanks and kept both full of new fuel. Petrol composts (as ted will have found). Tank 2 and allits contents were a write off from corrosion. My V8 has a different system to the one Dave is talking about. Each tank has a low pressure fuel pump as well as a sender and switching tanks just means switching pumps. A flip/flop gadget called the dual purpose reservoir does the switching depending on which tank is feeding it. My tank 2 was a write off and, as I mainly use LPG (liquid petroleum gas) I could do without it. But it was necessary to get a special kit to make the reservoir 'straight through' otherwise I had problems. As Ted never seems to have had Tank 2, he might decide to stay that way.

Reply to
Ken

snipped-for-privacy@y38g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

hit by a hurricane, it can be weeks before most gas stations are up and ope= rational, both due to having electricity and having gas to sell. After a st= orm, when a gas station gets gas in stock, it usually sells out in one day.= I don't feel like, and can't due to work, wait in line for 2 to 3 hours to= get gas. I would rather fill up both tanks and my gas cans (for my generat= or) before the storm hits.

I am in Canberra where it hasn't rained for months. Climate change seems to mean that they take all our water and drop it on Florida! You should be able to get tank two operational - in my case the cost would have been about $1k. Most of this was for a new tank - they were made of metal, rather than plastic in those days (or mine was anyway).

As I said, the fact that I run mainly on LPG meant that I can manage without tank2 (with LPG you only use petrol to start - or when you happen to run out of LPG - LPG costs about half as much as petrol (and delivers about 70% power - which, with a 5 litre V8, is plenty)). I have two LPG cylinders which hold about 100 litres.

When you get your second tank back look after it by keeping both tanks full and alternating use of both. Even if the new tank is plastic, all the contents - sender, fuel pump (if it is the same system as mine) are metal and will corrode in no time.

Reply to
Ken

a hurricane, it can be weeks before most gas stations are up and operational, both due to having electricity and having gas to sell. After a storm, when a gas station gets gas in stock, it usually sells out in one day. I don't feel like, and can't due to work, wait in line for 2 to 3 hours to get gas. I would rather fill up both tanks and my gas cans (for my generator) before the storm hits.

Cheaper and simpler in the long run. Plus can be moved to another vehicle or sold later. used one's probably available.

;-)

Reply to
nothermark