Re: Re: Re: fuel gauge and trany problem

the engine in it is a winsor 351 4bbl carb. I will start with the fly wheel being on backwards and the starter ring. One thing i noticed was that the bolts they used to mount it in were just grade A hardware. I went and found some starter bolts that fit that truck. Well i appriciate the advice and i will let you know how everything goes. thanks again guys

"Dave and Trudy" wrote: > "87bronc" wrote in message > news:1202491 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com... > > Well The lady had bought a ramanufactured c6 automatic > transmission > > from checker auto parts. Now ever since this transmission > has been > > put in the mounting ears have been cracking or breaking off > > completely. Every starter has lasted about 5 start ups and > thats it. > > Now i have crawled under and made sure the last starter i > just put in > > was lining up correctly and the same thing happend. i > checked the fly > > wheel and there is nothing wrong with it its not bent or > missing any > > teeth. i don't know what to do i personaly think that > something is > > just not lining up right > > What engine is in the vehicle? Also, I vaguely remember a > similar problem > with one vehicle of a friend and it was an improperly mounted > flywheel. > Either the flywheel was installed backwards or the starter > ring was > installed backwards on the flywheel. As I recall, the beveled > side of the > starter ring should face forward (toward the starter) and in > this case the > reverse was true. It prevented the starter gear from > disengaging the starter > ring quickly enough and resulted in twisting the starter. > Anyone out there > seen such a problem or happening? Hope this helps.... > > DaveD

Reply to
87bronc

As a practical matter, since the truck has a C6 automatic, there is no reason for the flywheel to come off. Given this tidbit of factual information, odds favor it being on the right way. You should be able to open an access cover on the bell housing to look at the flywheel and the torque converter.

The wrong bolts could be a problem. I believe bolts are rated as Grade 3, Grade 5, and Grade 8, where grade 3 is the type of bolt used in a construction project, and grade 5 and grade 8 are automotive grades. You stated Grade A, and that sounds alot like Grade 8 to me, and Grade 8 is the proper bolt for this application. A Grade 5 is probably sufficient, but I recall that Grade 8 has a higher tensile strength.

If the bolts you had were the type with a shoulder (un-threaded portion) that was getting bottomed out and leaving the starter to wobble a bit, then this could easily be causing a problem.

I would suggest you take a look at the flywheel from either the view of the access panel or from the location that the starter normally lives in, but do not pull the transmission down and take the bell housing off unless you know for certain that the flywheel is backwards. It seems to me that if the flywheel was backwards, the torque converter would not fit, so I doubt the flywheel is your trouble.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland