reading OBD-II DTC's on the DATC (heater control) module?

The 2002 Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis manual says, about the Dual Automatic Temperature Control module, "The DATC module has a vacuum fluorescent display for displaying set temperature, function and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), and utilizes an on-board diagnostic (OBD) feature to supply the technician with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). These DTCs direct the technician to the inoperative component."

But I can't find any instructions on how to get it to display the codes. Can anyone help with this? I have a 2003 Explorer and don't have a code reader. (I used to just count flashes on my '94 Crown Vic check engine light after jumpering with a paperclip under the hood. Now that the codes are alphanumeric this probably isn't possible anymore.) Thanks.

Reply to
hillpcATemailaccount.com

Oops, the words are from the Service Manual, not the PCED manual.

Reply to
hillpcATemailaccount.com

Buy a code reader. You can't flash them out anymore......

Reply to
Woody

DATC will display codes related to DATC, not the PCM.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well, I've got the OBD-II reader, but you would have to be in St. Louis for it to be useful.

Reply to
Herb Stein

From the piece that you just quoted, it would seem that a code reader may not be required. The description seems to imply that the module's display will show the codes. You just need to figure out what to jumper or which combination of buttons to push.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You have the service manual, right? I'm looking at the service manual DVD for the 2002 Explorer (I saw you have a 2003). In section 412-00; subsection denoted Diagnosis and Testing, Climate Control System; there is a lot of verbage on how to execute the selftest and retrieve various codes using only button press combos and codes on the DATC display. There is also a diagnostic trouble code chart, and directions to the pinpoint tests. Read this stuff carefully, as I don't know what the effect on a 2003 (or a 2002 for that matter) might be.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

The module will display codes... but it will only display codes for the EATC (and in some models, the audio system) system. Herky Jerky is quite right about the DTC list in the shop manual.... but there isn't a powertrain code among them.

After you guys are done jerking your own chains, shop around for a code reader... one that is CAN capable is a bonus for those considering a new purchase in the near future... one that can display proprietary information is better... one that can display parameter indication data is a better choice yet...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ohhh, now I see what the original gentleman is trying to do. I am slow sometimes indeed. He wan'ts to read the powertrain codes using the climate control display. Never mind. I thought he was trying to investigate the climate system only.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

Thanks. I had become hopeful because of a post I'd read in a Ford pickup truck forum, where pushing and holding certain buttons during key-on would scroll DTC's and a bunch of other info on the electronic speedometer.

Reply to
hillpcATemailaccount.com