Rear axle for 1986 Aerostar

I'd like to swap the standard axle in my van for a limited-slip unit. The van had no interior items when I bought it ($300) and likes to spin the right rear, especially when the road is damp or wet (5-spd tranny).

Logic states that two wheels trying to propel the vehicle from a stop will lessen the chances of spinning one wheel uselessly, increasing the traction.

Anyone know what I get the axle from that will fit?

Thanx in advance!

-Shayne

Reply to
Shayne

Not sure about the axle Shane. Maybe your tires are uneven on the back axle, making it easier to slip on the one side. Inflation, tread design, pressure, and wear all make a difference.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I'm pretty sure that the Aerostar was built on a Ranger platform. If you call the junkyard, they should be able to tell you if a Ranger axle will fit. I'm 90% sure it will.

The other option would be to make the existing axle limited slip. You can buy a kit, I think, to do that.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Yeah, like I said, $300! Tires are pretty cheap and a bit on the old side and will be replasced as soon as I get tired of them. There is *NOTHING* in the cargo area. Seats have long been removed, and I tore out the molded carpet, rotted headliner and 'walls'. Even with a sofa, love seat, large curio cabinet loaded inside, it still rides much higher than any other Aerostar I've seen, tho...

Reply to
Shayne

I'll check, thanx. The diff is offset to the right instead of centered, but maybe that's a stick-vs-automatic thing...?

Reply to
Shayne

centered, but

I'm pretty sure the ranger and aerostar are totally different. The ranger uses leaf springs and the aerostar uses coils. Now what might be possible is swapping a posi carrier from a ranger into an aerostar. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning