rear axle knocking / loose drums? 99 ranger

Can anyone advise as to what my problem may be? I have a 4ltr 4X4 stick shift ranger from 1999. Its got about 80k miles on it.

I sometimes feel under hard acceleration as if the truck tries to turn left using its rear wheels. Then I let off the gas it feels like it straightens out.

If I push the truck's back wheels side to side I feel and hear a knocking as it wobbles back and fourth. I put my finger behind the wheel and its the 2 halves of the brake drum moving against each other. Whats happening? I torqued up the wheels studs just to be sure but I suspect its not safe to drive.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Tighe

straightens

If the brake drum is in two pieces, something is broken. It is not made that way. You better have it looked at by someone who knows a little more.

Reply to
Tyrone