Rear-Facing Dash Cam: Where To Mount In/On Pickup Truck?

Not a backup cam. A dashcam with high rez that records what it sees.

Seems like the rear window of a pickup cab does not work. The bed gets in the way and the cam is not high enough - so that somebody rear-ending the vehicle would not be sufficiently imaged.

Or is it?

Has anybody been here with an actual installation?

I"d like to hear that the rear window actually does work.

Barring that, I'm thinking maybe cutting a hole in my rooftop box and mounting it in there. viz:

(PeteCresswell)

Are you going to have a front facing cam too or just the rear one? Do you get rear ended that often??

Reply to
Ashton Crusher
5Per Ashton Crusher:

Front-facing cam too.

Logically, if you want to do it right, one needs front, back, and both sides. Workable cams are available for $50-60 each, so I'm thinking "Why not do it right?"

Been rear-ended once some years ago. Neck's messed up for good - but not *too* messed up - but no plans on getting rear-ended again.....

I'm just on a camera kick lately. Set up a couple of IP cams for a guy's windsurfing shop, been fooling around with critter cams in my back yard... and then somebody introduced me to the concept of dashcams.

I am prepared to acknowledge that I may have too much time on my hands.... -)

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

.... and a fair amount of extra money :-)

Reply to
SC Tom

Per SC Tom:

Not *too* much.

The windsurfing shop paid for all the equipment.

I get a good-enough image from $80 EdiMax 3030POE cams like the one showing the beach here: ExtremeSurfCam.DynDNS.org:8080

The dashcam thing, OTOH, is going to take my beer money for several months.... -)

More money than sense? It's not out of the realm of possibility.... But I don't want my survivors to have *too* much fun.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

You know what they say, "You can't take it with you." I'm just not ready to go yet :-)

Make them earn it like you did; they'll appreciate it more (yeah . . . right).

Reply to
SC Tom