Rearview Mirror Temperature Sensor says Cal

2001 Ford F 150 SuperCrew Rearview mirror temperature sensor shows "cal" as well as temperature. Does this mean the sensor needs calibration?
Reply to
Bryan

If it's anything like the console display, the CAL is for the compass. My friend's F150 would show that, and according to his manual, you had to find an open area without steel structures or power lines and drive in a tight circle at idle (3 MPH or so) until it went away. He says it usually takes

3-5 circles, then it's ok again.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom" <sc

I think that means calibration of the compass. There is a calibration mode for the compass to compensate for the residual magnetism of the truck. You are supposed to drive in a circle. Check the manual for details. This is coming from memory which is not that reliable.

Reply to
Mellowed

I love this high tech stuff: drive in a circle 3 to 5 times and make a beer sacrifice to Polaris. What a hoot! Thanks for the information.

Reply to
Bryan

Just make sure there's no cops around when your calibrating, or that your not doing it in a parking lot where any bars are around..."sorry officer - I was just calibrating my compass" isn't gonna get you free without a breathalyzer or a piss-in-a-cup!! :)

Scott

Reply to
IYM

I'm just going to go to the nearest roundabout and drive around in circles until the cal goes away. I think I'll do this at midnight for my NYE celebration. Happy New Year!

Reply to
Bryan