Rebuilding an automatic transmission.

Anyone ever rebuild a Ford Transmission with success? I have quite a bit of automotive training , and even delved into automatic transmissions.. however when it came to Fords we never got into one , because my automotive instructer told us they were too complicated . Chrysler 727s seemed to be very simple.. GM a lil harder. but Never did a Ford. I am thinking about Tackling mine as it shifts poorly from 2 to 3 .. and a used one is always iffy and a new one is out of the question . so if anyone has any experiance with them let me know my ears are open..

Reply to
Wolfie 31

I rbuilt a c3 a c4 and a c5 from a 3.95 book and it was easy. you might just put a shift kit (About 25 bucks) and that wii up the pressure and tighten the shifts. next you might consider just rebuilding the valve body. pretty easy also. never had one run bad yet. old john

Hello, Wolfie! You wrote on Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:54:30 -0400:

W> Anyone ever rebuild a Ford Transmission with success? I have quite a bit W> of automotive training , and even delved into automatic transmissions.. W> however when it came to Fords we never got into one , because my W> automotive instructer told us they were too complicated . Chrysler 727s W> seemed to be very simple.. GM a lil harder. but Never did a Ford. I am W> thinking about Tackling mine as it shifts poorly from 2 to 3 .. and a W> used one is always iffy and a new one is out of the question . so if W> anyone has any experiance with them let me know my ears are open..

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
ajeeperman

Which Ford Trans? I've built a few with good results. I built a few 727 Mopars as a teenager and a few GM 350's and

400's. I never paid much attention to the degree of difficulty but, as I get older, most of this crap seems more difficult anyway. I just don't lift what I once could and I no longer bend easily.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I had an issue with my 98 f250 shifting hard. Took it to the tranny shop and they replaced a broken spring in the valve body, and all is good since.

Reply to
djdave

Regretably it is quite true. As your knowledge and experiance increase you physical abilty tend to decrease with age. A cruel irony that I to am starting to feel..

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

This is a Ford Aerostar essentially my work and do everything else vehicle its got a 3.0 V6 with a three speed with overdrive transmission.. I tried a band adjustment whitch seemed to help a lil bit. but didn't make a permanent Change. So its either rebuild it or , find a good low milage tranny to put in it. I seem to get a bit of torque Converter shudder when I first take off as well.. so maybe this info will help

Reply to
Wolfie 31

What you are likely feeling is tranny clutch chatter or shudder, not torque converter. TIme for a rebuild and a bone yard swap out.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

A three speed auto in an Aerostar would make it what tranny? I thought they were all 4 speed A4LD's. If it's a three speed, that would make it a C-4 or something, right? Sounds like you might be in luck then, as that should be easier than any 4 speed.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

you may be right.. I seemed to have misplaced my book so I don't know off hand . Thats just what I call it .. I may be wrong in my terminalogy

Reply to
Wolfie 31

The tranny Shifts good from First to second.. its from second to Third you get like a this groaning sound for a second then it shifts.. it actually will slow the vehicle down for a second as it does this.. it sounds like it is struggling to a lil bit to shift ..

Now I will mention something else I call it a three speed with over drive as there are two shift indicaters one for D then there is the O for overdrive when I drive in the over drive mode when it shifts to that when it gets to a certain speed there is realy bad vibration

so thats my dilimma at the moment

Reply to
Wolfie 31

I'm a rank amatuer, and I rebuilt an AOD using only the instructions in the FSM. My direct clutch was shot, so it was a pretty basic problem that I was correcting, and you need to consider that. I tow too much with it is my problem. Anyway, it's lasted 4 years, I guess. No problems.

Reply to
Joe

can't you read? He said it was a 3 speed with overdrive. It's an A4LD.

Reply to
Joe

Apparently not, Joe. As I said, I thought all the Aerostars got A4LD's, but I misread his post. So I was right while being wrong. :-P

CJB

Reply to
CJB