REDLINING IN 1st Gear???? Tranny help!

my O/D light came on 2 days ago on my 95 automatic 4x4 explorer xlt, and it is now flashing constanly. but HOLD ON! its not the normal problem when this happens. the car runs perfectly, EXCEPT that when i go from stop to go, the car stays in 1st gear and will go all the way to the rev limiter unless i SLIGHTLY let go of the gas pedal then itll shift properly to second or moslty third...but its still a pain. on the freeway, or ANYWHERE past 3rd gear, its fine. just went 200 miles today on freeway and drove good. its just having trouble selecting gears out of 1st. itll work fine if im on a flat hill going grandma speed, but anything else, itll hold up in 1st until i let go of the gas to get it to shift. i reset the computer by unhooking the battery. took off the O/D light, but went 1/2 mile and still had problem.

Reply to
italianjeremy

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

tom

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 07:36:04 +0000, italianjeremy rearranged some electrons to form:

The flashing O/D light is to let you know that the transmission has set a code. Get it read out at Autozone. Your transmission requires service.

Reply to
David M

The fact that it's a 1995 may be a problem because it's OBDI, not OBDII. Historically, ODBI will give you a code, but there's very little info out there to tell you what it means. Good luck, I hope Autozone can decipher it for you.

Reply to
websurfer

My experience has been that AutoZone does not read transmission codes, only generic OBDII (engine) codes. They do not do OBDI any more.

Reply to
gw

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:30:18 -0500, websurfer rearranged some electrons to form:

That doesn't change the fact that the transmission is screwed. Take it to a transmission shop, then.

Reply to
David M

Reply to
Ron Stewart