replacing a GEM module

Trying to get myself an education. When replacing the GEM module in a Ford 4x4, is it necessary to "Program" or Re-program that unit. Or can a direct swap out be left at just that, without doing anything.?

Reply to
boxcar

yes

nope

Reply to
johanb

There are numbers on the GEM.... use the same ones. Hank

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:32:55 -0700, "johanb"

snipped-for-privacy@THIScs.com wrote:

Reply to
Hank

I heard that the Programing consists of tire size and axle ratio, so the computer reads my speed correctly. Is that true.? Is that all the programing does.?

Reply to
boxcar

yes

no

Its looks if you have or at power windows and locks, pats,door ajar, cruise, washers/wipers and a bunch of other things. It also communicates with the other modules like abs,hec and pcm

Reply to
johanb

Sounds like replacing a GEM without doing all that progaming could darn near disable the truck. The average auto tech doesn't have that kind of programimg experience. So I guess that a GEM replacement job must go to a Ford dealership. Have to assume they program it correctly in order to have all those features you mention to be operational.

Reply to
boxcar

It's not that simple anymore.....

Several different networks on 1 car, modules communicating with each other , etc.

You have to pull old info out old GEM with scanner, install new GEM and upload all info back to new GEM.

Don't know if there is a way around it

People want more and more toys on there cars, it's all possible but at a price when it breaks down.

Reply to
johanb