Replacing auto hubs with warn lockouts

96 full size bronco, Auto hubs aren't engagaging. Buying warn manual locking hubs. Anyone that's done this before with some advice or tips is appreciated Thanks .
Reply to
rayfromky

You can get good used hubs from salvage or off ebay a LOT cheaper than new ones.

Stick with auto hubs if you can - no getting out of vehicle, no freezing up of the dam things when you need them the most is a BIG pain. After having auto's you will probably HATE manual hubs.

If I was you I would get another good used set of auto's cheap as replacements that should last a while. I got some used auto hubs for my 86 Bronco II for $75 and they have been great.

Reply to
Tom Levigne

You'll need the conversion "kit" consisting of the nut and washers. I did my '95 Bronco and many, many others over the years.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

My neighbor changed his hubs and will never again get Autos. You only know they are kaput when you need them.

BTW, both my Super duty and '92 Bronco are manual. My next Super Duty will also be manual.

Reply to
Mellowed

Got mine from a dealer when they peeled 'em off a trade-in. $60 for a set of pretty much brand new Warn Premiums...

Not me.. Swapped the autos from manuals on my last truck and ordered manuals on the new truck. I've *NEVER* had 'em freeze up or get stuck on me, but then again I'm a maintenance freak so I always keep 'em well lubed and clean. IMO the manual units are more durable...

Reply to
invalid unparseable
96 full size bronco, Auto hubs aren't engagaging. Buying warn manual locking hubs. Anyone that's done this before with some advice or tips is appreciated Thanks .
Reply to
pj

Here are instructions for Bronco II, Ranger, and Explorer. They may have instructions for the Bronco too. Either way it's probably very similar.

I found I did NOT need a really big wrench to remove the big nut--it came off easily after removing the lock pin just by tapping it gently with a small hammer and screwdriver to get it to turn a little. You will probably need the big socket to torque the new nuts though.

Here's some info on repairing autohubs if you are interested in keeping yours.

Once again this is for Explorers but probably very close to the same thing. I have 2 Explorers and put Warn manual hubs on both. It took a little over an hour the first time and less than an hour the second time. The only disadvantage I can think of is that you have to remember if they are locked or not. I much prefer the manual cause they always work when I need them.

Reply to
Ulysses

The link mysteriously disappeared.

And here's some more about Explorer hubs:

Ulysses