shaking F-150

Hi, All,

Just wanted to bounce this off of the Ford truck gurus hanging out in this NG, as I'm not finding any real specific answers doing general 'net crawling.

Recently, my 2004 F-150 Supercrew began an odd vibrating/shaking, usually when on the highway accelerating through 40-50 mph. It came on without any warning one day. It's speed-sensitive, but not in frequency, only in intensity. It shakes the damn wipers right up off the windshield, then it goes away at about 55 mph. You don't really feel it in the steering wheel. It's mostly in your feet and butt.

But, now here's the frustrating rub: it's intermittent. It'll go days at a time without doing it. It's been so elusive that I haven't brought it to the dealership yet because, frankly, I was never 100% convinced it wasn't just the road surface. I have ruled that out, at least to my own satisfaction.

I've checked the obvious things like tire-pressures and wear-patterns, but otherwise I'm at a loss. Most of the things I think it *may* be don't seem like they would present themselves in the on-again/off-again way that this has.

An employee at a local tire-chain eye-balled the wheels and didn't think it sounded like a tire-balance issue, and suggested it may be the rear alignment. I'd never heard of alignment "giving out" all at once like that. Does that seem plausible?

Would a repair technician be able to suss out a mechanical problem even if the truck wasn't presently in one of "shaking moments"?

Any leads/experiences anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

S-M

Reply to
StreetMedic

It is probably the e-brake. Had the same on my 04. If the e-brake is very tight, have them back off a little. On mine the pedal only went down about one click. If it is not very tight, take it in. There is a TSB for the problem.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

Just a guess but based on the fact that you don't feel it in the steering wheel, I would suggest a close inspection of the drive shaft and u-joints attached thereunto. The drive shaft should have a weight on it to balance it and the u-joints should not have any play and be firmly planted in the shaft yokes. Dave D

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Hiya, Dave,

Good to know, albeit over *my* head, from a skills/knowledge standpoint. I hope it's what Marlin suggested, as that's clearly the lesser of two evils. If it's not the e-brake issue (fingers crossed), I'll be armed with your observations when I head into the shop.

Thanks for your thoughts.

S-M

Reply to
StreetMedic

Reply to
David F. Mishiwiec Sr.

45mph or so is the natural oscillating frequency of the suspension on must cars and trucks. That's why shaking at this speed always turns out to be a tire. If it's not a tire, it's something that can put vibrating energy into something that's unsprung. It could be a ujoint, but the driveshaft turns about 4X times faster than the tires, so usually if they shake at 45 they'll shake much better at 10 or 15. Less energy, but it's pure shaking at that speed rather than a blinding fast hum.

It could also be something orbiting in the front axle - a loose CV joint there for instance. Since it's intermittent, it makes some sense, at least I think so.

Reply to
Joe

Whenever I get shaking like that. it's usually dried mud on the wheels. Intermittent as can be, too.

Reply to
Oleg Lego