Should Ford upsize the Ranger?

With other makes going with the mid sized truck concept, I wonder if Ford will do the same with the Ranger. Personally, I like a compact truck. Every weekend I'm hauling something and I'm getting 26 - 28 mpg. Of course, those who need to pull large trailers need a bigger truck. One thing I never undertood much is those crew cab trucks with the short bed, like the Chevy Avalanche. I never see people hauling stuff in those things. John

Reply to
JohnR66

I think what with how big vehicles are taking a kicking just now, Ford would be too smart to make the Ranger bigger and alienate even more consumers from their vehicles. If anything, they might make them smaller.

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

I can't see them going any smaller. Room in the standard cab is at a premium now and going any shorter than a 6 foot bed diminishes its usefulnes considerabley as a work truck. With the gate down, 8 foot lumber would hang out way too much. John

Reply to
JohnR66

Went from Ranger to F-150 FX4. I would never go back. The mileage isn't as good, but much more power, comfort, and room. The best my Ranger could get with the 3.0 V-6 in town was about 17 MPG. Ron

Reply to
R&B

snipped-for-privacy@att.net (JohnR66) wrote in <nMnue.348908$cg1.416@bgtnsc04

-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>:

IMHO, the only upsizing the Ranger needs is in the bed depth. Otherwise, I think it's perfect for its segment. With "compact" pickups like the Dodge Dakota getting ridiculously large, the Ranger pretty much has the truly- compact pickup niche to itself.

I had a 1994 Ranger XLT 4x4 with extended cab, 4.0L V-6 and 5-speed manual. It hauled anyting I needed it to -- including a 5-1/2-foot grand piano -- and averaged 21 MPG. If my wife hadn't fallen in love with a red 2001 Sport Trac, I'd still have it!

Reply to
Jim