Snowplowing

Anyone plow snow with an Ranger pickup? Am thinking of buying one to plow a small condo complex with narrow streets and drives. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Fred

Reply to
fredbarga246

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:08:40 -0400, fredbarga246 rearranged some electrons to form:

I doubt a Ranger would be up to the challenge of snowplowing.

Reply to
David M

Reply to
Mark Schofield

I live in Maine, and I plowed all last winter with my 2000 Ranger.

3.0 litre, 4 x 4, 5-speed manual. I'm using a Fisher Homesteader 7'4" plow and 70# of ballast in the bed. My driveway is about 300' long, with a large parking area at the end about 80' x 80' I had no trouble at all as long as I didn't let it get deeper than about 4" Next season I plan to crank up the torsion bars a bit for some extra support up front.

I don't think I'd plow commercially with it. It's a light-weight plow.

Reply to
gw

Reply to
Mark Schofield

A Ranger would probably be up to the challenge in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

In Buffalo, the snow drifts might be a little more challenging.

Reply to
Julian Child

If you mount the Ranger sideways, on the front end of a big truck, it will plow snow very nicely. Ron

Reply to
R&B

...now that was funny.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

As hard as it may be to comprehend, you can plow snow with a riding lawn mower.

I would not do it, BUT, You could have a plow mounted on your Ranger and could very effectively plow snow with it, but it will not hold up to the abuse as long as a full sized 3/4 ton pickup truck would.

I personally would not drive a Ranger. I drive a F-450 4x4. I plow my 2000 foot long driveway and 15000 square foot parking area with a

4500 pound 32 horsepower tractor.

These nay-sayers are not speaking from experience...

Reply to
351CJ

SHOCKS do not help your load carry capacity! they simply dampen the up and down movement of your springs...

Reply to
351CJ

I have 2 3/4 ton trucks, anF250 and a 2500 Ram, both with plows, and they do a good job. The problem I have is taking on another customer with short narrow drives and narrow streets ie: turning radius. The

2500 Ram does better than the 2001 F250 (2005 F250 supposed to be changed). If I was to put a plow >...now that was funny.
Reply to
fredbarga246

Yep, that's what I thought. Should I try the Mazda/Nissan groups too??

You're gonna have a helluva fleet when you're done.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Reply to
fredbarga246

Reply to
Mark Schofield

I use standard cab GM trucks with IFS front ends and they will out turn a dodge or ford with a striaght axle with ease. My newest one is a 2000 K3500 SRW and it is unstoppable in snow when loaded and yet turns tight and nimbley with no torque steer/whip through steering wheel when crowding it in tight turns (Ujoints in straight axle are not constant velocity as they turn/flex) I will never go back to a striaght front axled plow truck or any trucks I add to my small "fleet".

Reply to
SnoMan

Sure, get a plow with less surface area to match the size of the truck. I still would recommend a full size truck and plow if you have plow streets and drives. When my 20" mower crapped out, I got a 22" cut one. That extra

2" makes quite a difference in mowing time as will the wider blade. John
Reply to
JohnR66

I have Edelbrock IAS shocks on it, but not for plowing. Shocks don't do anything for weight capacity. I plowed all last season without doing anything with the torsion bars. I'm going to try cranking them up a little next season to see if the truck drives any better with the plow raised.

BTW - I would not want to drive much distance on-road with the plow on. The front end is not happy with that much weight hanging on it - hence the torsion bar experiment next season.

As for the other replies: I was able to pile snow at least 7 feet high with this equipment. I successfully plowed through 3ft. drifts of *light* powder. (Get a running start)

1.5 ft. of heavy packed snow left by plows at the end of the driveway was not a problem. I would not put 500# of ballast in the bed. The whole plow rig only weighs 260#. Traction was not a problem.

Reply to
gw