spark plug wires

Several months ago I put in new spark plugs and wires. The wires are Belden lifetime warranty. Afterwards, the truck ran great.

Recently my engine started missing at idle when in gear. Tonight (while dark) I started engine and saw several wires that were cross firing. Also noticed an occasional spark at a couple of spark plugs.

Is this normal for spark plug wires? I can get spacers for the wires-the cross firing seemed to occur where two wires were touching.

Would this cross firing cause the engine to miss? Or did I get a bad set of wires?

1982 F100, 302 V8 132000 miles PS, PB, AC

Thanks

remove 1 from 741 to reply email

Reply to
stevef

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:53:56 -0600, stevef rearranged some electrons to form:

No.

Most definitely.

Looks like it.

Reply to
David M

no, it is not normal. yes, that is the cause of your miss. no, spacers are not the cure. yes ,the wires touching is causing this. no ,the wires should not touch each other if put in the loom correctly. yes, you got bad wires.

Reply to
Falcoon

Recently my engine started missing at idle when in gear. Tonight (while dark) I started engine and saw several wires that were cross firing. Also noticed an occasional spark at a couple of spark plugs.

Is this normal for spark plug wires? I can get spacers for the wires-the cross firing seemed to occur where two wires were touching.

Would this cross firing cause the engine to miss? Or did I get a bad set of wires?

1982 F100, 302 V8 132000 miles PS, PB, AC

Thanks

remove 1 from 741 to reply email

Reply to
stevef

|Several months ago I put in new spark plugs and wires. The wires are Belden |lifetime warranty. Afterwards, the truck ran great. | |Recently my engine started missing at idle when in gear. Tonight (while |dark) I started engine and saw several wires that were cross firing. Also |noticed an occasional spark at a couple of spark plugs. | |Is this normal for spark plug wires? I can get spacers for the wires-the |cross firing seemed to occur where two wires were touching. | |Would this cross firing cause the engine to miss? Or did I get a bad set of |wires?

Do you drive in a dusty environment - dirt road, etc? Years ago I had a chronic miss in my '84 S15. I was driving a lot of miles, some of it in an area known for it's rock quarries. I was changing wires every 6 months. After about 3 rounds of this I had it checked by a mechanic that serviced a lot of the vehicles used in the quarries. He cured the miss in about

10 minutes, with a car wash sprayer. Seems the fine dust that settled on the wires was conductive, and offered the spark a fine alternative to it;s intended path. After that I kept the wires clean and never put another set of wires on it. Belden is a division of Federal-Mogul (Wagner brake, Moog chassis, FM Engine Bearings, Fel-Pro Gaskets) and makes one of the top-quality wire sets on the market. Even their least expensive grade is at least the equal of the OE wires. Just be sure before you trash those wires that you make sure they are clean, routed well, and not stressed anywhere. Also ,ake sure plugs are good. Rex in Fort Worth
Reply to
Rex B