Stabilizer link replacement 99 F150

I noticed this last that I was getting a clunk when I was starting out on a right hand turn. I had a look this morning and found that the driver side stabilizer/anitsway bar link was loose. The bolt had snapped inside the link so the end of the bar was banging on the top of the link. I think I may have been hearing slight clunks from this in the last while but I couldn't swear to it. It might have been loose for a while or maybe it just snapped last night.

I got a replacement for about $10 and it took about 10 minutes to put in. The other side seems fine so I only replaced the side that broke. Should I replace both or is there really any point to this? It doesn't seem to be worn at all.

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone was wondering about a similar problem.

Stephen N.

Reply to
Stephen N.

My truck is a 99 4x4 4.6L as well. My passenger side bar snapped last May so I replaced it and I wondered about doing both at the same time but I didn't bother. Then in August the driver's side went as well. So, I guess a person could go ahead and do both at once or they can wait till it breaks. Boils down to personal preference.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Actually, I thought about that last night and it was totally lame to do just one side. I wouldn't have thought about it but I had to go out to dinner about an hour after I started doing the repair. I thought I would run out of time so I figured I wouldn't even start the other side. The first side went so fast, I probably would have had time anyway. I'll do that this afternoon.

Considering one side broke, it just doesn't make sense not to do the other side when I already have the parts and it is such a quick fix.

Stephen N.

Reply to
Stephen N.

Big surprise, I did the other side and the bolt was very worn in a few places. Not sure how long it would have taken to break but it was on its way and it was a good thing I did go ahead with the fix. This side took about 15 minutes because the bolt was quite frozen in the spacer/sleeve and took a bit of Lube and elbow grease to free it up. Still a pretty easy job.

Next job, shocks!

Stephen N. --->

Reply to
Stephen N.

what about the rear sway bar links? and the sway bar frame mounting bushings?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The rear links would be a worthwhile thing to do. I had a pretty good look at the front swaybar frame mounting bushings and they looked good. The rubber is still pliable and I couldn't see any cracking. They don't really get stressed much compared to the links which see a lot of radial loading and shearing forces. That was reflected in the wear I saw on the link bolts.

I don't want to think of replacing everything I think is wearing out, though. That would be everything but I will do the easy, less expensive ones as maintenance. Not that shocks are going to be cheap...

Stephen N.

Reply to
Stephen N.