Starter relay location on F350?

1989 F350 with 460cid

I am getting intermittent starting problems. When the ignition key is turned, nothing happens, cannot even hear starter relay clicks. Happens about 1 time out of 3. I haven't yet tried to start in "N".

It seems like it could be:

1) Starter relay

2) Neutral switch

3) Ignition switch

I suspect starter relay. Where is the starter relay located? The FSM does not mention its location. It should be somewhere in the engine bay on the passenger's side.

If that doesn't work, where is the neutral switch located?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Anonymous Sender

Should be able to follow the positive battery cable to it.

Reply to
Mike O'Malley

My '92 Bronco has a Starter Relay located in the engine compartment, passenger side, up near the hood. Look for a high current cable at that location.

Reply to
Mellowed

Sounds like you are experiencing a problem with the (mechanical lever) ignition parts in the steering column. For some reason the name of the part has slipped my mind... They can show you a breakdown on the parts computer at the Ford dealer and get you a new one... That is a known weak area on your vintage of truck...

Good Luck

Reply to
429SCJ

Update: I decided to replace the starter relay. I shopped around. Asked various auto parts places and ended up getting a "Conrad" starter relay. Started it twice, no problems. Not enough to verify that the problem went away. Should become evident later.

If this doesn't work, will take apart the steering column.

"429SCJ" wrote:

Reply to
Anonymous Sender