steering fix?

I have a 2002 Excursion 4 x4 that you don't drive you steer... and steer and steer. The truck can't seem to take a track and hold it. Now I'm not talking about hitting bumps and getting spring wrap steer, I'm talking about you steer to a point in your lane and go down the road an if the truck starts to drift right you move the wheel to compensate and now your drifting left and on and on. you get the picture? checked suspension parts and there all ok, new shocks, new tires just put on and alignment just done. is there some valving in the power steering pump or steering box that goes bad or? I'm stumped, any ideas? sure could use some help on this one! thanks doubletriggers

Reply to
Bob Statkus

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 05:30:42 +0000, Bob Statkus rearranged some electrons to form:

What kind of tires, and to what pressure were they inflated to?

Reply to
David M

I'd be looking at the ball joints. Sounds like the froze kingpin syndrome. And yes, it happens to ball joints also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Seen this problem a few times before, and a new steering gear box was the fix for that vehicle.. The symptoms are "it always feels like you are over correcting", "it always wants to pull one direction or the other", "steers very easily"... If you have those symptoms, I would suspect the valve in the gearbox has gone bad and the gear box needs replaced... The last one I saw this on was a '00'...

Also, having the alignment tech increase caster about .5deg might help a bit too..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Dave tires are trxus m/t from Interco- pressure is 55 lbs but wandered w/old tires on and the same w/new tires

Reply to
Bob Statkus

55psi??? No wonder that puppy is wandering away on you.. Take a look at your door sticker, I believe the spec for the Expidition is 80PSI with 10ply tires... The reason for this is due to the weight of the truck itself... It sits on an F-250 frame and uses the same tires and wheels the F-250 does...

I think you need to re-think your tire selection... You need load range E tires only, and you need to air them puppies up!!!

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

the spec. for excursion is 80 psi the same as the spec. on the super duty (i also own one) as i've done on the super duty if i don't have any load in the truck i run at 55 lbs or they wear in the centers only these are 10 ply tires(trxus m/t) i just put on - load range E the old tires or new tires on the truck makes no difference i will try the 80 psi just to make sure, but i think the earlier advice on the steering box or lower ball jonts is where i'm going to concentrate, thanks to all for your help

Reply to
Bob Statkus