stinky camper shell

Hello.

When I bought a SnugTop fiberglass camper shell for my Ranger three years ago, the installer told me the solvent smell would dissipate in 6 months or so. That hasn't happened. The smell is still nauseating. Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of the smell?

Thanks, nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

If its the polyester resin smell rest assured it will remain until one of two things happen: You discard the shell or paint the interior. What you're smelling is the release of the MEK in the resin. This is the catalyst that causes the resin to harden. It will continue to release this smell almost indefinitely unless you paint the interior with something that virsually seals the interior surface. My preference is an epoxy type paint which produces a solid coating, unlike ordinary paint. I know some who have had some success by spraying a thin polyurethane coating found at some home improvement stores in a spray can. If you like the finish you now have simply spray on the clear coating. Deft is a pretty good substitute and can also be purchased in a spray can. Although marketed primarily as a clear wood finish it does a good job on fibreglass as well. One final note: Never believe a shell salesman or his installer. Good luck.

Reply to
The earnest one

Curious, what does that word mean? Can't find it in my dictionary. Thanks

Dave

Reply to
putt

Virtually and usually.

Reply to
Robert Mozeleski

virtually!

Oh.....just a spelling error. I thought maybe it was a description for some type of painting process/technique/end result I hadn't heard of before. It never crossed my mind that it might be error....

Dave

Reply to
putt

That's the impression I was getting. By 'epoxy' paint, you mean the nasty two-part stuff that needs thorough cleaning of spray equipment, yes? I'm thinking I'll take a chance on polyurethane. Some cleaning is in order first, though, as I foolishly put some carnuba wax on it last year!

Thanks much for the reply.

nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

Vir-su-ally. The correct spelling of virtually with the end of one finger missing and a 6-pack under your belt. Webster.

Reply to
The earnest one

Wow. That's good wax too. I'd spread a little of it on something and then experiment with different types of detergent to see which worked best. Don't forget to try ammonia (lemon type) to see if that works. I built a large boat once using WEST Epoxy System and they had a wax which came to the surfact to seal off the surface from oxygen and it would only come off with ammonia and water. Good luck.

Reply to
The earnest one

Surfact -- a fact that is for dadgum sure...Webster.

Reply to
The earnest one