Straight exaust on a diesel

Having an argument with my son over a Ford diesel truck F-250 Super Duty ( highway driving only, 50-60 miles a day ) he owns. He wants to run a straight exhaust from the manifold back or run stacks straight thru. I am telling him he can create an engine problem doing this in regards to the valves or other engine parts on a bone stock engine, he says not. As I'm a gasoline person I don't know the answer, hope someone does here. He is not talking a cat back system. I used to do this with a car back in the 60's and ended up burning valves. Thanks.

Reply to
jmc

Is this a turbo engine? If so, then your concerns would be moot, do to the backpressure/resistance caused by the turbo. If you are talking a pipe, back to the rear of the truck, with no muffler, cats, or scrubbers? besides being horrendously noisy and dirty, this wouldn't hurt the engine...

With a gas engine, if you have headers, your valves should be fine. What you are describing is generally a result of large exhaust leaks at the exhaust port..

Reply to
My Names Nobody