Stuck F150 Tail Gate.

I have a (new to me) 89 F150 4X4. The tailgate was working when I got the truck a week ago, now, it is stuck closed and will not release.

I can wiggle it a tin bit on both ends (1/16") But it seems like the latch is not releaseing.I can't really even take it apart unti;l I can get it open.

Any suggestions?

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Seems like the rod that attaches to the handle may have come off. The rod activates the piece that latches the tailgate to the bed on each corner. Look on the inside of the tailgate for a few screws to remove and gain access to the rods. (Should be in the center of the tailgate opposite the handle on the outside) Then it is up to you to figure out how to fix the problem.

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

WD-40.

Reply to
G.T. Tyson

Yeppers. I was the only one that could get mine ('86 F 150) open and even then sometimes I had to stand on the bumper. One visit to the shop for U joints, I told the guy to fix the tailgate latch, too. He ran late and all he had done to it was grease the shit out of the side latches. I was really pissed. Well, honestly, it has worked great ever since -- wife and kids can open it now.

Reply to
Tex John

Go to one of the cheap auto parts places and get a replacement latch. Should be about $20.00. Two screws from inside the tailgate and you're good to go.

Reply to
scrape