Stuck In Park

I have a 2006 F-150 with the 5.4 engine and auto transmission. The only problem that I have had with it is with the transmission sticking in park. This only happens occasionally and the two times that I took it in under warranty, the dealer could not find anything wrong. They did replace the parking mechanism in the column, but that has not helped. Sometimes I turn off the engine and wait 10 - 15 seconds and try again. Usually, that works. A few times, it doesn't. Before anyone asks, yes I have my foot depressing the break before trying to get out of park, and yes the brake lights are working with my foot on the brake. This is getting frustrating, especially now with the truck out of warranty. I made a point to get the service manager to document it in my file in case it locks up completely. Has anyone here heard of this problem and know what needs to be done to fix it permanently?

Reply to
hoerschy

Does this happen on flat parking spaces, or only hilly/grades?

Many times it is the sift interlock system.

Reply to
PeterD

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:28:08 -0500, hoerschy rearranged some electrons to say:

2006 Explorers had a TSB for a defect in the locking solenoid. This may or may not be a similar problem for your vehicle.
Reply to
david

This has only happened on a flat parking lot, inside my garage, or some other flat surface. I was told the first time they went through the trouble shooting list and didn't find anything. They did, however, replace the the shift interlock system inside the column.

Reply to
hoerschy

Assuming (big question there, I've seem some shops BS on replacing stuff under warranty) they replaced the shift interlock system, there is a possibility there is a problem in the transmission. Don't remember which brand (Ford/Chrysler/GM) but at one point in time there was a batch of transmissions that had bad park pawls that sporadically would not come off. The fix was the replacement of the output shaft.

Reply to
PeterD

I have a '97 F150 that does the same thing. I occasionally have trouble getting out of Park. I have never had it get completely stuck, but I do find that I have to repeatedly attempt to depress the brake and pull back on the gear selector.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I would not go that deep -- into the transmission itself. My truck does this, and I am sure the problem is in the lock solenoid at the gear selector or the switch at the brake pedal. Either the lock solenoid is not pulling out of the way because it is weak or dirty, or the switch is not activating when the pedal is depressed.

Tlat ground or hill makes no difference.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I had this problem with my '97 Explorer and it turned out to be the brake switch. Fixed it and it hasn't had the problem since.

Reply to
Ulysses