Superduty Cam Shaft Position Sensor

All,

I have a 2002 F-250 SuperDuty 7.3L I had the Cam Shaft Sensor replaced at around 50K. I have had other friends have to do the same thing and one has had to replace his twice about every 60K.

Is this a common problem with the 7.3l? Has anyone had deailings with Ford where they admitted any faults? Has this been on a recall list to date?

Thanks for any information you may have.

I was going to contact Ford and express my concerns to hopefully have them conduct an internal audit and perhaps recover some costs associated with this problem. This worked for me before for my '91 Explorer about

6 years ago.

JR

Reply to
Superduty

associated

It's a common problem. My '96 F-250 has 140K miles on it. I just replaced my CPS Monday.

Reply to
Tyrone

My sister's 7.3l Excursion went about 120k before its CPS went. She told me the symptoms and I told her what I thought it was. Sure enough, the stealership found a bad CPS.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

JR, It's a common problem on the 7.3l diesels... You can read all about it on

websurfer

So what does this camshaft sensor do ? There must be a work around someway.

Reply to
Ron

It is common. I don't think Ford has admitted it, and since the new ones aren't any better than the old ones, they probably won't admit it since they don't have a fix for it.

One hint for next time: if it dies and you don't have a spare or can't get it loose, unplug it and plug it back in, you may get more time; mine went another ten miles, but I didn't test to see how long it would last.

Reply to
Chris Hill

yup

Ford admit a fault ? get real

nope

Reply to
TranSurgeon

ummmm.................report cam position to the ECM, maybe

no, there is no work-around

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I replaced mine at about 100k miles,It is common, Ford doesn't make the part as it's an International engine and you can get them at an Internation dealer at about 1/2 the cost of Ford. Generally you can tell if it's a CPS when your tack doesn't work when you crank it over.

Reply to
JSMMV