SuperDuty Fuel Pump

My 91 Southwind Motorhome, 29 footer, is on a SuperDuty chassis (460). About 2 years ago I got stranded in the middle of nowhere about 90 miles from Flagstaff, AZ. Had to be towed in, when the rig just died while tooling down the highway. Found a very good shop, who diagnosed fuel pump problems. I asked him about a fix, and he said Ford can't supply the in-tank pumps; can't make them last. He said he had two rigs waiting about a month for replacement pumps. He replaced my fuel filter, which brought the fuel pressure up to barely acceptable, and told me it could last a long time, keep the fuel level up in the tank, to keep the pump cool. Yesterday, it died again. Fortunately it was about 9 miles from home, and after "resting" for a couple of hours, it restarted, and I got it home. In want to replace the pump with an after-market external pump. I've got the specs. I've gotten mixed ideas on whether I need to remove the old pump -- some say yes, some no. I'd prefer to not pull the old pump, as it means dropping the gas tank (which is full).Any thoughts from the group?

Reply to
Jim Corey

you need to replace the other pump or remove it and replace it with a new pick up tube that will suck the fuel from the bottom of the tank. if not the old pump will cause too much restriction.

Reply to
Brian