Thermostat on 2002 Ranger, 2.3L

I believe that my thermostat is stuck open. I went to the parts store (assuming that it's a regular old thermostat) and the thermostat is a special order part that costs $40. After I got home, I went looking for the thermostat (again, assuming it's a regular old thermostat) but the upper tradiator hose goes to a large metal tube that disappears somewhere behind the engine. I found a description of the thermostat online - it's a Poppet-Type, Pellet-Operated, Electric Assist... Does anyone know where this thing is located?

Reply to
Bill Z.

Razor

Reply to
Razorblade

Bill also remember that to check to see if the thermostat is stuck open, all you have to do is pull the radiator cap when the truck is cold. If you can shine a flashlight down in there and see the fluid moving around then its stuck, but if you can't is got to be something else..

Reply to
pkurtz2