Tie rod end F150 already?

2000 F150 ,, 30K Miles:

Just got off the hiway today and pulled into a Canadian Tire to shop for some stuff. While making the left into Crappy Tire, I heard a hell of a squeal, kinda like the guy behind me was doing a decent burnout. Put the truck in reverse to park and I hear a BAD grind. Get out, and one tire is facing west while the other is facing east, it's clear the tie rod end has snapped off and is pushed up against the inside of the rim.

Question # 1 : Is 30 k miles too early for a tie rod end to snap? Of course it is, but why do Fords do this, I thought Ford Trucks were built a little tougher than Ford cars.

Question # 2: is .9 hours per side (I told them to replace both sides just in case it's a fatigue problem from Ford's supplier) plus $68+ tax to align the front end a shit load too high to replace a simple TRE? If I had a lift, it would seem a novice could do this in 15 minutes per side, (then pay for a good alignment). I mean this is not rocket science - it's a screw/bolt on part for gawd's sake? This is a $500 (quote) job for 2 tie rod ends??? Oh my ass hurts! No, ...I normally wouldn't let crappy work on my car/truck - but the damn thing broke down 15 feet away from their repair bays...(it's Sunday) uggg.

Question #3 This is my second Ford in a row to snap a tie rod end. The last was a 5.0 Mustang with about 30K miles on it. Does Ford buy crap OEM tie rods or what? I have never hit a curb in my life, the truck (and car) are /where both pampered. This is getting scary here, I was "makin' time" on the hiway not 10 minutes b4 it broke. The Mustang was the same, just got off the highway at 150 kph and 5 minutes later, it snapped and the wheel's hangin' out all over everywhere.

Question #4: Isn't a tie rod end supposed to give you some warning B4 it breaks. I thought a little wiggle or wobble would be present before the wheel breaks loose. This is twice now, and I can tell you , I'm pretty A-nal when it comes to a fishy sound or vibration in my cars. If I run over a dime I can tell you if it was "heads or tails". In both cases of Ford tie rod failure I felt an absolute quality ride - then SNAP. If it was 5 to 10 minutes earlier in both cases it would have been SNAP YOUR DEAD! I have no idea why they snap just kilometres after a high speed hiway run????

I'm on the hook for repairs (again) and that's life , but is this thing safe or are the rest of the joints in the steering about to attempt to take my life as well. I just spent $1,500 last week on this F150 with 30K, now this. I'd say I had a lemon but my my 25th year anniversary bright red 5.0 was a piece of shit too - "new motor"'/headers/1 dual exhaust/ rotors/ tie rods/ etc.etc. blah blah blah. Damn I can't afford to keep buying new cars! I'm going broke here........ PLEASE DON"T TELL ME TO BUY A JAP CRAPPER! I surveyed at least 50 F150 owners before buying another Ford and all said it was the best truck they ever owned (oh ya, my F150's transmission and brake rotors failed just off warrantee (Surprise!!!) as well)

Sheesh, I can make a 100 dollar lawnmower last 35 years but a 35,000 (Canadian) dollar truck won't go 3 years???

PS.. Sorry if I sound pissed ('cause I am), but I could lease 4 Mercedes for the cost of keeping this simple 2000 F150 on the road the last month .. bummer.

The good news is, I found out from the neighbour kids how the bus system works in this city (I'm now hip!). I feel like a kid again - except for those pesky truck payments....

Last question: Do I sound like a complainer or should I expect a vehicle not to present a problem that would cause at least 5 roll overs at hiway speeds, at the ripe young age of 3 years and 30 K miles?

Once again, I apologise for complaining - I'm a little dis-enchanted at the moment, but I would like to hear what you think.

Reply to
DanLynwood

One anecdotal reply: My '88 F-150 went through both tie rod ends before 10K. I replaced them with Ford parts (rent a TRE separator for ~$10.00) and did them myself. The ones I put on there at 10K are still fine at 230K.

Reply to
scrape at nc dot rr dot com

You could have replace the TREs in the parking lot yourself. Canadian Tire will loan you the TRE tool for free and a $5 set of wrenches would do it. Then a $30 alignment.

Ah well. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I believe that the .9 hours for one side outer tie-rod replacement also is supposed to include a toe adjust with an additional .3 hours for the other side. I would think that .5 hours for one side with a thrust angle align is more realistic. That's how I've been charging my customers.

Reply to
Dan Larson

That's terrible! Both the premature failure and the $500 to replace. You should have paid the tow bill to go some place that wants your business more. Would the warranty have covered it?

Reply to
Joe