Time for Tires '02 F250

Well, driving south on I-75 north of Bay City MI yesterday put me in a mood for new tires, when I hit that icy patch (at what seemed to be a safe speed for the weather) and eventually spun out in the median with my wife and 3 kids in the truck. No damage, no one hurt, thank God. But I could never get a grip back with the stock OEM Firestones, just kept fishtailing in the grass until I slowly spun around. They probably have 15,000 miles left on them but I have decided they must go.

Looking at BFG AT's, I'd like to go a "plus-size," and I know this question has probably been asked ad nauseum but Google led me to too many different answers.

Stock size is 265 75R16, would like to go to 285 75R16 or 305 70R16, has anyone here actually done this without a lift, and what if any contact do you get? '02 Superduty 4x4, crew cab, shortbed.

TIA

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Michelle P

True, nothing is better on ice, but most "studdable" tires are a very soft compound, and not recommended for everyday use as they don't last very long under normal conditions. An all season or even all terrain type tire would be the best choice, and stay home if possible in icy conditions.

The 285 tire is 20mm (wider) than your 265 tire, and the sidewall height is

75% of that number. (in a 285/75/16)

The page-link below is a good source for a breakdown of tire sizes and what they mean, but not exactly a complete answer to your question. I'm not endorsing the company either, I just knew of the website and thought it might help.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Well, there was no ice in the median. just snow...we got 6" yesterday, and it had just started getting heavy where I spun.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Thanks, I already understand the sizing nomenclature, I am looking for anyone that might have real-world experience on a 285 75R16 or 305 70R16 (which are almost the same daimeter) on a stock-height Superduty F250 4x4.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I was responding to Michelle P about the studdable tires on ice.

Good luck man.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:41:30 -0500, Matt Macchiarolo rearranged some electrons to form:

Michelins, bro. You'll be crying when you buy them, but you will never cry about them again.

Glad to hear everyone is OK.

Reply to
David M

Don't go bigger; the ps-pump won't be your friend; think it is hard to turn the wheel with the brakes on now, wait until you do it with a larger tire.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Speaking with experience?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I'll check it out. Thanks, Linda basically kept her eyes shut until we stopped. Sam never stopped playing his Gameboy...that kid has no fear. Once I got it off the pavement, I was relaxed a little because I knew I wasn't going to hit anyone, so I just did my best to keep it straight until we stopped. Had it happened on an overpass, with a concrete barrier and guardrail, I'd be shopping for a new truck, not just new tires.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I went with the 285s on my truck with few regrets. OK, the only regret is a decrease in gas mileage.

I'm running Pro-Comp A/Ts. (4 Wheel Parts had a buy 3 get 1 free promotion I couldn't pass up.) Don't know how long they will last, but I'm sure they won't match the factory Firestones. I do suspect they will offer superior grip, but so far I can't really back that up. (Been a very mild winter snow-wise, and they haven't seen enough mud to matter.)

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

I have the V-10 as well. If I was interested in gas mileage, I would have bought a Ranger.

:-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Well, yeah, but.......

So far the step up in size hasn't provided any real tangible benefits. The tires "look" a bit bigger, but they have yet to prove they are any more capable off road or on.

I've always liked bigger tires, but I'm thinking if I'm going to suffer a penalty, I should get something for it. What I should have done was spend four times the money and popped for a leveling lift, wider wheels and a set of 315s.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4 (w/wimpy 285s)
Reply to
Matt Mead

What about your extra 10mm of clearance? :-) What I am looking at is the 295

75r16...while it won't look like a monster truck, I should maintain capacity (the BFG's have the same max load rating as the Firestones, though it is a load range D) and have much better winter traction.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt, It is possible that the Load range D in the 295 size could equal the same max tire weight as an E in the 265. Just check it out. You could be OK.

On another note, I live in the mountains in snow country. I put REVO's on my F350 SD CC 4x4. They are an extremely good tire in snow. The 295 probably will not give you better traction because of it being a 295. Look for a good traction tire first, then select you 295 if you wish. Some recommend the Michelin's. I've always heard good comments about the Michelin's. But also check out the Bridgestone REVO's.

Reply to
Mellowed

I love the Revo's! Put a set on my truck and my dad's (beings I work at Firestone, I got a screaming deal) The rubber compound of the revo's change as they wear so they grip as well at the end of there life as the beginning.

Reply to
Steve

I have an '01 F250 4x4 and will be putting either the Bridgestone REVO's or the Yokohama Geolanders. I have 265's now and will be getting 285's.

The REVO's are da bomb!!

Reply to
No One

I put the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's on my '93 Bronco. I'm extremely pleased with them. Check them out at

NES

Reply to
NES

They're the best. I had them on my 95 GMC Sierra and loved them.

As soon as these Firestone's wear down I'm going shopping for REVO's

Reply to
No One

I run BFG AT TAs and I think they are a great tire. I had fantastic traction in the snow and I don't have any complaints about any other conditions. I only put them on last September so I can't vouch for tread wear. They are a lot quieter than I thought they would be on the highway, quiet enough to have a conversation without yelling.

I recommend them and I would buy them again.

Stephen

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Stephen