Time to change /upgrade/ replace a 1990 Ranger?

Greetings and Salutations

I have a 1990 Ford Ranger: a basic, stock, un special truck with a shell on it and two major dents (They're not obvious, but someone before me took a hit.) It's got 200,000 miles on it, needs tires, brakes, probably rotors, and I don't know what all might show up in a close inspection. There are some rattles in the engine, which could just be it needs "purging", but it uses oil. Doesn't burn it, just does something with it (Sends it Haliburton?) I'd like a more recent model of the same basic truck. As I say "Manual tranny, four cylinder, extended cab (for the ever important space to stuff 'stuff'), 4x2, not red, not black, nor 'road spray grey'." I realize that buying second hand limits my options, but ...

But, what is the consensus? Keep and save for a replacement, or replace it now?

Oh yeah, I had to replace the radio; I put in an AM/FM CD player with MP3 capacity, so it is not a bad truck to drive.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Your post doesn't make sense. If your truck doesn' t leak oil, it burns it. It does not "just do something with it." And is it a qt. in

200 miles or 2000 miles? What the hell is "purging" the engine? If it's noisy, it's probably something worn. The things you say it needs are just maintenance items. Why not do a closer inspection to find out everything? If you want another Ranger, go buy one. there's a bunch out there between 1990-2005.
Reply to
Al Bundy

In Time to change /upgrade/ replace a 1990 Ranger? on Fri, 04 Nov

2005 21:18:58 GMT, by pyotr filipivich, we read:

The Ranger is not as strong a truck as the F150 series or the Chevy 1500, which you might consider. All parts for these trucks from the 1970s forward are being remanufactured. The older full size trucks in VGC also hold their value.

Check equipment catalogs for options and after market accessories.

And ideal used truck is...

- locally owned - 1 owner - at least 4 years old - well maintained - no rust

I like a V-8, 4 WD, manual shift with medium ratio gearing. Properly tuned and driven you can get 20+ mpg on the road and it should last for 300,000 miles.

The key to solving the transportation problem is flexibility and relationships.

Avoid dealers and look for a private sale. Keep about $8,000 cash on hand and be open to buy outright or trade. I'd look for something between

1985 and 1995. A VGC mid to late 1980s F150 or 1500 can be had for $4000 - $5000.

An easy way to find a truck is to know a mechanic who is into the type you want. His job and personal interest will attract buyers and sellers. Offer an finder's fee. Let him do inspections and repairs on your truck. Once he feels you're "in the loop" he'll look out for you.

Find a good one, purchase it and try it out. By following the guidelines, if you come across something more desirable, just put yours back on the market.

Good luck.

Reply to
Strabo

You need $120 worth of brake parts from Autozone, new tires figure $250, check your tailpipe with your finger to see where oil goes, if it runs and is paid for its hard to beat. Otherwise get another Ranger, I am on my 3rd.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Im driving a 1994 Mazda B3000 SE. Same truck as the Ford Ranger XLT extended cab. 3.0 v6, and it has 382,000 miles on it. The rear end is finally starting to whine just a smidge. Original u-joints, all tight, original front end, 3 set of shocks, original tranny (5spd). I replaced the engine from a Ford Taurus at 294,000 miles, after finding out there was zip compression from #1 + 4, due to a blown head gasket/water leak and having the borrower drive it back to town...empty. Annealed the rings in those two cylinders. . Never did use any oil

During its life so far..Ive replaced 3 clutches( I haul a trailer full of machine tools pretty regularly) 1 starter, 1 distrubtor, 1 alternator, and two serpentine belts..Oh..water pump and radiator, as a matter of course when swapping out the engine.

Ill buy another one soon as I can find the same truck and have money in my pocket.

Gunner

Gunner

Rotors are $35 each from the autozone. Seldom need them though..

Gunner

Gunner

Too bad that they don't come with the great two-tone paintjobs found on the older F-150s.

Gio

Reply to
Gio Medici

I'd like one of the older style F-100s, myself. In the Faded Puke Green that takes so long to really age into.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that "Scott" <homealone.com> wrote back on Fri, 4 Nov

2005 17:54:54 -0800 in alt.trucks.ford :

It is more of a case of "I want a 'bigger' truck" - along the lines of more cab room. I realized the other day that my Toyota Corolla hatchback had been a slightly more "efficient" vehicle, as I could take the pile in the passenger seat, toss it over the seat into the back, and be ready to carry a passenger. Much harder to do in a standard cab pickup with a shell on the back. Have to get out, and unlock the shell, then shovel the newspapers mail and whatnot ... :-)

I'll probably just get the brakes and tires done, and put off replacing it for a couple more years.

But one of these days, I intend to own a late model pick up. I'll accept a new truck, but only if someone else wants to pay the difference :-)

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich