tire and brake probs under warranty and etc?

Good luck.

I'm going through a similar problem with my 2002 Ranger 4x4. Look back a week or so ago for the details.

I'm told Ford won't even consider warranty on tires if the truck is over a year old or over 20,000 kms (12,000 miles or so). When they do warranty a tire, it is usually prorated based on thread depth.

Mine are worn in much the same way but seems to be on all 4. I had the truck in the shop on Friday and I have to go back on Monday to see the warranty manager so we'll see what happens then.

They tell me it is likely the alignment but I had it done in May when I took the snow tires off. What I really can't figure is why they don't check the alignment at the dealership.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Smith

I have a 2001 F250 4x4 that I bought new. It is still under warranty. It has 25,000 miles on odo.

Some problems have recently manifested themselves:

Truck has a slight "pull" to the right.

Right front tire has an un-even wear pattern.........makes the tire look lumpy/wavy.........Tires are the original OEM LT235-85-16's, General "Grabber AW".............. The other 3 tires look good, worn evenly across the tread.

A vibration seems to be coming from right front end of truck.

There is often a squeal or squeek when brakes are applied. Squeal seems to be coming from rear, but its kinda hard to tell.

My questions.................how are brake and tire problems handled by warranty? Do I get a new tire for a discount price, or what?

Is it likely that these problems are all related?

Is it likely that warranty will fix all the problems, at no cost to me?

Lee Carkenord

Reply to
Lee Carkenord

I had the same problem with my tires, it was the left front tire that was defective. My tire was lumpy and wavy when the tire tread delaminated from the carcass of the tire, this is the cause of the vibration. I had about

23,000 on the set of tires and it is not uncommon for this tire. First to be safe I would remove the tire and replace it with the spare as they can come apart at any time. You can go to the tire manufacture and complain to them. General Tire has a web site and a 1-800 number. They told me they would replace the tire after having there local tire dealer look at the tire it will be replaced at a pro-rated rate. After talking to the local tire dealer I would have to replace the front two tires as they are on the front of your 4WD truck and the newer 4WD trucks are more touchy about replacing one tire and not the other, they would have two different diameters (one worn and one would be new) this would be a problem when running in 4WD. The front axels would turn at two different rates while in 4WD all the time putting added wear and tear on the front differential. I replaced all four tires would never put another General Tire on my truck. Customer service was bad, and the tire in my opinion is a lousy tire. You can go to ww.dieselstop.com forums and do a search under general tire to find more information.

The rear brake squeal is un-related to the tire issue. The warranty defines this in most extended service programs as normal wear and tear on a truck, and you will have to take care of this yourself IF the cause is the brake pads. If the squeal is caused by a defective part it may be covered. You would have to have the dealer to look at it to determine this.

As for the "pull to the right" I would resolve you tire issue first and see what happens after that.

I hope this helps. "Your results may vary."

Reply to
Randy

Keep in mind the dealer will ask for proof of tire rotations.

Reply to
PC PODD