Tire Wearing (Sport Trac - Explorer 2004) Question ???

My 2004 Explorer (Sport Trac)tires seem to be wearing on the inside and it seems like bumpy wearing... Does anybody have an idea what is wrong? I took it into the Ford "Quick Lane" service & they said I needed to get it aligned which I did & they replaced my tires.. Pretty freakin' expensive. That was about 3 months ago & I noticed it seems to be happening again. Do you think I need new shocks?? & I think the service guy was wrong...

Reply to
DQ

I think they didn't align it correctly.

Reply to
JimV

What you are seeing is called cupping or scalloping. Some tires do this even though the alignment is right. It seems to me that the more aggressive the tread, the greater the tendency to wear like this.

I think certain tires are just prone to it. You can put shocks on that make your truck ride like a tank and see if it helps, but I doubt it will.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You do a lot of city driving? How often do you rotate tires? Is the ride height correct? Are you prone to a lot of sharp left and right turns? Do you carry a lot of weight all the time? Tow a heavy trailer often?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning