trailer brake control wiring 2001 F-250

I have a trailer brake controller I would like to hook up to my 2001 F250SD. It came with both type of trailer plugs on the back bumper, and I found 4 (fairly heavy) wires under the dash: black, red, white, and blue. These wires are labeled "see body builders handbook". does anybody have any info about hooking up the brake controller? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mainiacs

Actually my manual has the wires (it's a 99), but I will check.

Mine also had a pig-tail that pluged into a pig-tail under the dash

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Those aren't for that. Look in the glove box and see if you have the original packet with the harness that came with the truck. If not, see the dealer. There is a plug on the right side of the removable panel undr the steering wheel; it is behind the bracket so it is hard to get to. Once you've got the harness that fits that plug, you may also need the brakers for the box under the hood for backup lights and trailer battery charging.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Sounds like the plug that my controller is hooked up to on the right side. Only difference is I have a lt green and not a blue wire on the truck side plug. The controller plug in that goes in the trucks connector has the red/blue/white/black coming out of it. They are for the following:

Brake Dash Controller side-------------------Truck connector side Black +12 volts Red Red Stoplight Lt green White Ground White Blue Trailer Brakes Dark Blue

Note this is on a 2000 model so yours may differ on a 2001. The breakers for the 12v charging and back-up lights are not connected to this in anyway but will need to be installed possibly if you need to run them off your 7 pin connector like Chris mentioned. Hope this gives you a start at least.

Reply to
Phyxius

Thanks all, found the pigtail at ford garage tonight, will install it to my controller tomorrow, and see how many fuses/relays/breakers i still need ;-)

Reply to
mainiacs

Those wire go to the engine compartment. They aren't hooked to anything from the factory. They are for hooking up accessories like fog lights or anything else you need to run wires for. I used mine for hooking up my air horns.

As others have mentioned, there's a plug for hooking up the brake controller.

Reply to
Harald

Thanks to all replies, found the connector at the dealer, hooked up my controller, got the brakes working (bad connection on the trailer side of the connector), and made my trip to Mass. last weekend with no incedents. Fuel economy suffered a bit, however, down from 18 to about 12 with a 24' cargo trailer, about 1000lb load. next on the list is a chip, and some cargo racks to make up for the 7' bed! Thanks again!

Reply to
mainiacs