Transmission Question

I have a 1995 Ford Windstar 3.6 or is it .8 The transmission last week started to shift hard and jerk when it went from

1st to 2nd gear. 2nd to 3th shifts fine and overdrive is OK. The fluid level is OK and the transmission seems fine other than that one problem. The Windstar has 170,000 miles with no major problems. They did the 100,000 head gasket thing under warranty several years ago. Other than that I've had no problems with the Windstar. Any idea why it's shifting hard and jerking from 1st to 2nd? Thanks for you help. Gene
Reply to
Julie in Tampa

you need to have it scanned and find out what codes are stored

ANY slip in any gear will cause the ECM to increase pressures and cause that harsh shift; as will problems with several of the engine sensors

at 170 K miles, you have more than gotten your money's worth from that unit, it's probably time for a rebuild

Reply to
TranSurgeon