Transmission Trouble

I'm driving a new-to-me Ford Explorer XLT, 2WD, 4.0 6-cyl, with

201,000 miles on it. Engine runs quite smoothly, and I've had no problems with it until now.

The problem I'm having appears to be in the automatic transmission. It started out as a knock in the engine/transmission when changing between 1st & 2nd gear, both up and down.

Now, the transmission is taking too long to switch up to second gear. (No problem down-shifting as of yet.) I have to be up around 3,000 RPM for a couple of seconds before it changes, when before it would change just after 2,000 RPM.

There's more to it. Today I hit the "OD Off" switch a couple of times in case that made a difference. (OD is now back on.) Now the indicator light is flashing after about 15 minutes of driving. The manual simply indicates that I need to have my engine serviced, but there's got to be more of an explanation.

Here's the big catch: I just checked the level of my transmission fluid, and it appears to be like 1-2 inches above the regular level indicator. Could having too much transmission fluid cause these problems? If so, can I drain & refill to the proper level myself?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Zed

. . .

You need to go to a Transmission shop. NOW!!!

to answer your questions..... The overfill isn't causing your problem.

MarshMonster ~wonders who rebuilt it last~ ====== ====== Transmission Trouble Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Thu, Feb 19, 2004, 7:38am (CST-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@zibby.net (Zed)

[...]

Marsh Monster