Triton v10 blown plug - Heli coil vs.new head

Good people,

I have a '99 Ford E350 van with the Triton V10 motor. I'm looking for some advice on reparing a blown spark plug. Here's the story...

March 1 2006: Took the vehicle to a Ford dealership in Ithaca, New York, because it was "missing" or "misfiring", particularly up hills. They diagnosed the problem and told me the spark plug and coil assembly had to be replaced on cylinder #4. I authorized the repair. Cost: about $500.

March 14 2006: During a cross country trip, the van breaks down in Gallup, New Mexico (approx. 2500 miles after the repair). It's making a loud "popping" noise, that sounds like some sort of compression leak. The vehicle is towed to the local Ford dealership, where they tell me that spark plug #4 has blown out, taking the threads with it. The head needs to be replaced, at a cost of about $3000. They tell me the dealership in New York is clearly at fault--they probably over tightened the plug. I am told this is a common problem with these Triton heads.

March 16 2006: After two days of conversations with both dealerships, Ford in New York will not accept responsibility for the repair. Apparently, there's nothing in their charter about ethical treatment of customers. It's all about the benjamins.

Looks like I have to pay for the repair myself. The local dealership tells me there's a "quick fix" alternative to replacing the head--inserting a Heli coil. It's not a long term solution, but it will get me home.

So here's the issue: The Heli coil is a much cheaper solution than replacing the entire head, which is very appealing. But how reliable is the Heli coil? Is it an appropriate solution for blown threads on one of these Triton aluminum heads? What's the life expectency of this solution? Will it last at least long enough to get me the remaining

1500 miles to complete my trip? Someone, please tell me if this Heli coil solution is just plain WRONG, and I need to pay the big bucks and replace the head.

Thanks!! Ron

Reply to
ron.rice

Don't replace the head!

This is what I'll do if (when?) I blow plugs:

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

The Ford V10 and, I believe, one of the V8s had (have) a reputation for blowing plugs. The Ford warranty fix was to install a heli coil or similar as a permanent fix as I recall.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

I second the Bigsert repair. It ain'r cheap by any means but, it is a damn site less than a new head. Done properly, it should be at least as strong as the original. You may have to bring an automotive machinist to install it if you cannot find a technician capable of basic machinist type work but, you will still be better off financially. They should be able to do the install without removing the head from the engine. You may want to have and extra insert or two around as it is possible another will pop if they screwed one. Aluminum heads are sensitive to exact torque settings on the plugs. It takes relatively little over tightening to induce a failure of the plug threads in the head. Once an insert is properly installed, it will be a bit more tolerant of over tightening.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

You didn't expect the first dealership to accept responsibility did you? Of course they are trying to blow you off, they don't want to pay for repairs if you won't force the issue...and who cares about their charter and profit margins anyway? Contact the regional Ford offices or go to Detroit if you have to.

If all else fails, take them to small claims court.

Reply to
Advocate

Ron, have you ever had problems with your water port falling apart in the heads.

Randy

Reply to
mussersdetailing

[snip]

Easy fix. BigSerts.. Had my V10 done over the summer for a fraction of the cost of the head alone. The folks who did it said they've NEVER had a car come back (Ford or otherwise) for puking plugs after they used these inserts.

Don't even have to pull the head to install 'em.

Reply to
invalid unparseable