Trouble Codes for 1996 Ranger

Hi,

I own a 1996 Ford Ranger with 4.0 liter V6 engine/manual tranny and totally stock. The "check engine" light went on so I took it to a mechanic and his scan turned up a trouble code that indicated that the "RPM's" exceeded the calibrated limit for my vehicle. Has anyone heard of this? I don't know if this was foreign territory to mechanic or what but he ended up clearing the code from the computer - to see if it was just a fluke. Unfortunately after having it for a few days since he cleared the code the "check engine light" has come back on. The odd thing is that both times the check engine light came on there was no effect on the drivability of the vehicle. Tonight I drove around for about 20 minutes after the check engine light came on so at least I am not stuck. Has anyone heard of/experienced this with their Ranger before?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
Tornad01

I forgot to mention that the truck's tires are not stock. Stock size is

195/70-14. The current size is 235/75-15.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
Tornad01

did the light start coming on right after you changed the tires, like a week or two. or have you had the different tires for a while. did you see any big difference on the tach after you changed the tires.

Reply to
mark schofield

Actually I have had the tires for about 6 months since I bought the truck. The larger tires came on it when it was bought.

Thanks,

John

Reply to
Tornad01