Troublecode 634 E4OD MLP sensor

This code recently showed itself. Apparantly the MLP sensor tells the computer gearshift position or something to that effect. Autozone doesn't stock this sensor so it looks like a dealer only part.

Whats the most likely cause of this code ( circuit or sensor )? What symptoms are supposed to accompany it? How to replace the sensor ( assuming thats the problem)?

1993 Ford F150 - 4.9 six - 3.08 rear.
Reply to
gil

it's the sensor, specifically the design of the plug

a new one will have an updated plug, which you must install

do it one wire at a time, cause the color codes on the instruction sheet have NO relationshio to what in the plug

best way is to release the wires from the old plug, and install them in the new one, leaving the old shell on the wires; when you're done and have tested it, crush the old plastic shell with channel-loc's and remove it

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Thanks. This is an expensive part... $104.99 from the Ford dealer. He also mentioned a special tool that must be purchased ( special ordered ) to adjust it during install.

The only symptom I'm aware of is the E4OD tends to hold onto overdrive too long. Usually the motor lugs in overdrive at 42-47mph going up highway grades. Of course all I have to do is push the overdrive button to get it to downshift.

Can I leave alls well or must this sensor be replaced ASAP to prevent potential harm?

Reply to
gil

you need no 'special tool'

on the sensor there is a line scribed on both the rotating inner part and the body, marked 'CL N'

put the transmission in neutral, and adjust till the lines are together

DONE

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer