truck topper gasket - need replacement

I need to replace the cab window gasket for the topper on my f-150. not the gasket that goes around the bottom, but the big one that surrounds the rear cab window. topper is a fliteway and I have not been able to find any info online about them.

Reply to
Tater

There are several different gaskets for the window. In my cover, I have no front window. I use a "boot" gasket between the cover and the back of the cab. There a 2 widths of these; mine uses the 3" which clips on around the edge of the window opening in the front of the cover. The only window I have to look thru is the rear of the cab. I have had to replace this and a couple of other items on mine. Right now, my best source of parts has been the Leer dealer in Conyers, GA - sorry, don't have exact name. Best parts man in there on the odd parts is George if he hasn't retired recently. If this is the gasket you need, get ready to pay about $7/ft.

Good luck

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I think I'd like to do something like this for my truck, as I have a sliding rear window in the truck - I would like to get a *good* gasket however as the truck sits outside. removing the front window from the topper would be a huge bonus as all three windows that I have to look through to back up are deeply tinted (rear window of truck, front window of cap, rear window of cap.) I haven't been able to find anywhere locally that stocks these so I can look at them; do you happen to know the brand of the one you are using and are you happy with it?

nate

Reply to
N8N

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 08:51:43 -0700 (PDT), N8N wrote:

The cover I have was first installed on my '86 F150 and is now on the third truck for a total of about 650K miles. It has been painted to match each truck. I replaced these gaskets each time. Water leakage is minimal and sometimes appears trickling down the center of the cab window. The boot gasket is vented at each lower corner and the water drains right back out without ever getting in the cab or cover. One edge of the gasket has the metal clips that retain it clipped over the edge of the window opening. It has a flex area between the edges to allow it to conform to the back of the cab. You can use a piece of self adhesive wwether strip to keep it from leaking or gathering debris which will erode the paint from the cab. There is also a clear material made by 3M that you can apply to the painted surface of the cab to prevent this. It is usually used on cars to prevent stone chips along the lower body areas. As for the cargo light opening, 3M makes or did make a black patch just for this. It also provide the surface for the boot gasket in that area. I suppoe you could also use duct tape but the 3M patch has never required replacement as I am sure tape would eventually. I did my cover this way because I could not see well thru the window{s} because of the mirror effect. I could never clean the area of either exterior surface making it damn near impossible to see thru after a while. I have no idea why more people do not delete the front window of their covers for this reason.

I found the name: J.R.s Truck Accessories, Conyers, GA

770-388-0598, George Mason is who I have dealt with. He seems to have good knowledge of this kind of stuff. This is the biggest Leer Dealer I know of in this region.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut