Truck wont run....

I have a 98 Ranger with 56k miles. After work I went out and the truch would not stay running. It was like it was not getting enough gas. It ran great in the am. After several attempts to get the thing started, it ran but not well and pressing the gas did nothing. I had my code reader and it read no codes nor was the check engining light on. Could the fuel filter be the problem? Or something else? Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
DVANJR

Fuel pump. Fuel injected engines require around 15psi of pressure and when it drops the engine runs like crap.

Reply to
Doc

probably fuel pump

two checks:

pull the line off the fuel pressure regulator going to the intake, might help

pinch off return line, it will boost pressure to the injectors

at least its not an 86 or 87 with both a low-pressure pump in the tank and a high-pressure pump on the frame rail

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Fuel pump. Fuel injected engines require around 15psi of pressure and when it drops the engine runs like crap.

Reply to
Not Me

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comjunk (DVANJR) had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com:

1st things 1st. By all means check the filter first. Seems most likely and definitely the least expensive. No point replacing all else if something as simple as that can be the problem.
Reply to
Barney

First check the fuel pressure. That's the first thing. It may well be ignition related, though.

Reply to
Joe