Update on '99 Ranger Brakes freezing up problem

This is the post where during spring weather, one of the drum brakes seemed to be freezing up, and I was wanting to fix whatever was making it happen.

The last incident was in my garage, and was evident from skid marks (until the ice broke) that the problem was with the Driver's side rear wheel. That made me decide to change out the emergency brake cables.

One of you kind readers told me to get my hands on a Haynes manual and use it. He said it would take him about 1/2 hour. I took his advice, and changed out the two rear cables (the ones that go to the individual wheels).

It took me about 80 minutes from start to finish, and when I got done I did a Destructive Testing on the cable from the drivers side wheel. I peeled back the thinner rubber coating at both ends and there is a little section in the middle of the cable, and I was a lot of rust at the end where the cable goes into the wheel assembly. The other parts I peeled back were shiny and clean. So it appears that the rust is an indication of my problem - the water that caused the rust was freezing and needed to have enough force to break through - which it did with the frightening "SNAP!".

(I did this a few weeks ago, and I went back to my practice of using the emergency brake whenever I parked the Ranger. No recurrences. I think it is solved, and I think I know why!)

Anyway, thanks for the help, and a word of advice to others who might be seeing the same problem.

Thanks.

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth