Using E85 in Ranger

On the fuel door of my '01 Ranger it says Unleaded gasoline or E85. In the owner's manual it says I can use E85 if the 8th digit of the VIN is a K. Mine is a V. Can I use E85?

Reply to
aviation

You really need to ask a local Ford dealer. They should have service manuals that will explain exactly what you truck is equipped to use.

Anything else is likely to be someone's guess.

Reply to
Mark Jones

If the vin does not match, no because it has differnet seals, hoses and injectors (because you have to burn a lot more fuel becuae of its lower energy content) I question what is gained here because MPG will decrease a lot along with range so even if it is a buck cheaper, it may cost more to actually use it.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

See

.

According to the information from this reference:

VIN Position 8 = K = 4.0-SOHC EFI FFV V-6 GASOLINE/FFV VIN Position 8 = V = 3.0 EFI-FFV V-6 GASOLINE/E85

So, it appears to me if you have a 3.0L V-6, it is mostly able to use E85.

Regards,

Ed WHite

Reply to
C. E. White